Top Notch put in one team the best and most experienced recruitment professionals in different types of industries:
Transportation Manager at Los Angeles. CA
The Transportation Manager is responsible for managing the execution, direction, and coordination of the organization’s refrigerated freight hauling. It is their duty to get perishable foods and products that require a temperature-controlled trailer to our customers in the most efficient, safe, timely, and cost effective manner.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Directing all transportation activities including: management of inbound and outbound dispatchers, supervision of internal and third party drivers, subhauler vendor vetting, and performance metrics monitoring.
- Utilize Freight Flow to plan daily routes and load scheduling for multi-drop deliveries, both inbound and outbound.
- Oversee margin performance.
- Interface with customers, either directly or through other Valley/Reliable personnel, to determine distribution requirements.
- Research and correct customer problems.
- Collaborate with Valley VP of Ops and Buying team to assess inbound freight needs and establish efficient distribution plans.
- Ensure appropriate back up is available in support for payments made to subhaulers.
- Tracking transportation vehicles using the ProducePro driver application.
- Monitoring transportation costs.
- Research and suggest cost-effective shipping methods.
- Determine pricing to achieve target margin and consistent with pricing parameters established by business leadership.
- Negotiating and bargaining transportation prices.
- Maximize routing to ensure deliveries are profitable, timely and efficient.
- Transact all relevant activities in Produce Pro including, Trip entries, Allocation of sales orders per trips for accurate accounting, application of freight and freight related cost allocations on POs and SOs.
- Perform annual review of Freight Vendor Compliance information to ensure subcontracted vendors are in compliance and able to keep an account in good standing.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures for transportation operations.
- Staying up to date on regulations including those related to HACCP, employee safety, and freight classifications.
- Organize and conduct training sessions for drivers (e.g. proper use of machines, driver app, handling of product, accident reporting, credit documentation, etc.)
- Direct the maintenance, repair, and replacement of transportation vehicles.
- Manage and electronically file all freight-related documentation to minimize customer discrepancies and support complete and accurate payments due to subhaulers.
- Support Accounting team to resolve account discrepancies by investigating documentation (returns, statements, invoices, etc.) and the issuance of payments and/or adjustments when applicable
- Within established guidelines, independently organizes, prioritizes, and initiates work activities.
- Guidance is provided in new or unusual situations but may be limited therefore the employee must demonstrate initiative and be a self starter.
- Compliance with all companywide, local, state, and federal rules and regulations, policies and procedures, Local 630 Union regulations and Code of Conduct standards
Ability to Do the Job:
- An individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Proven work experience as a Transportation Manager, shipping manager, or similar role. Knowledge of state and federal laws pertaining to the transportation of goods.
- Ability to read, write, and communicate clearly in English. Bilingual in Spanish is preferred.
- Basic math skills - addition, subtraction, multiplication and division to 1000’s.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions.Ability to use good judgement and multi-task without losing focus on primary objectives.
- Familiarity with logistics software, proficient in ProducePro, and Microsoft Office programs
- Ability to handle stressful situations, maintaining a calm and professional demeanor.
- Demonstrated initiative, good judgement, and problem-solving abilities
- Team player attitude
- Proactively establish and maintain effective working relationships with all
- Maintain a willingness to improve personal and company performance
Physical Requirements & Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Frequent: 33-66% of the time (2.5-5.5+ hrs./day) Constant: 66% of the time (5.5+ hrs./day)
Occasional: 33% of the time (0-2.5+ hrs./day) Not Applicable: Activity is not applicable to this job
Stand: Constant Lift: Occasional
Walk: Constant Reach Above: Occasional
Sit: Occasional Reach Outward: Frequent
Handle: Constant Squat or Kneel: Occasional
Twist: Frequent Climb or Crawl: Occasional
Bend: Occasional Balance: Occasional
Talk: Frequent Hear: Frequent
Taste : Occasional Smell : Occasional
Lift Carry Requirements:
Pounds: Lift/ Carry Push / Pull
10 lbs. or less Frequent Frequent
11-25 lbs. Occasional Occasional
26-50 lbs. Occasional Occasional
51-100 lbs. N/A N/A
> 100 lbs. N/A N/A
Vision Requirements: · Close · Distance · Color · Peripheral · Depth · Adjust Focus
Exposure to the Following Work Environments:
Outside Weather:Frequent Moving Mechanical Parts: Occasional
Wet/ Humid: Frequent Fumes/ Airborne Particles: Frequent
Extreme Cold: Frequent Precarious / high places: Occasional
Extreme Heat: Occasional Toxic or caustic chemicals: Occasional
Vibrations: Frequent Noise Level – Loud: Frequent
Duty to Employer
- Employee must act in the best interests of the employer at all times;
- Must avoid any relationship or activity that may impair, or even appear to impair, the ability to make objective and fair decisions when performing the job;
- Must not be employed, compensated, tipped, or receive gifts of any sort from a competitor, customer, supplier, drivers, or related party
Must not own or have a substantial interest (financial or personal gain) in a competitor, vendor, or customer as a conflict of interest would result.
|Organization / Company|